When I received some blood oranges in this week’s CSA shipment, I did not really know what to do with them. I love the flavor of citrus but I rarely eat oranges plain. I refused to waste them so I came up with what I think is that next best thing-a dessert! Cupcakes, no less!
These were perfectly light and refreshing. I brought them to work and they were gone in 15 minutes! Enjoy. 🙂
Blood Orange Coconut Cupcakes
1 1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon blood orange zest
1/2 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup coconut milk coffee creamer (or another 1/4 cup milk)
3/4 cup unrefined sugar
2 tablespoons Earth Balance or Butter
2 tablespoons agave nectar
Orange food coloring (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the zest, milk creamer, Earth Balance/butter, agave, and egg.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined. Do not overmix. Add the food coloring if you desire a brighter orange cake.
4. Place cupcakes liners into the pan. Pour batter 2/3 way up.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for one minute and then transfer to wire rack for cooling.
Blood Orange Icing
1/4 cup light cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup Earth Balance or Butter, softened
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup fresh blood orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons blood orange zest
Unsweetened coconut flakes for sprinkling
1. Combine the cream cheese and butter. Add the blood orange juice.
2. Add the confectioner’s sugar 1/4 cup at time until well mix. Add the vanilla and zest.
3. Once the cupcakes are cooled, dip the top of the cupcakes into the icing. Sprinkle with coconut.